Thursday, July 29, 2010

To the Oldest Mosque in Singapore!

After months of planning, I’ve finally reached Singapore. I’ve been away from my country for months, and i have managed to explore several countries in Southeast Asia, such as Thailand, Malaysia & Indonesia. I am close in fulfilling my dream to go and explore all these famous countries in the world!

Alright alright. i guess you might want to read about my trekking today. Well,  I started my trek today early in the morning from my lodge. I was planning to cover Bugis Street, Little India and Farrer park; places famous in Singapore. But for today, my final destination will be the Singapore's oldest mosque at Arab street..

The weather was so hot! My trek started out in a small old looking street. I looked around and wondered why am i  in such a old street when i am in a developed country. You can see from the image above, i ended up in this small street, whereas at the back, you can actually see the tall white building behind it. Woah! Just imagine,  two different worlds being separated merely by a line. One moment, you're in the 70s', next moment, you're in the 20s'.

I walked into the lane of shop houses where i realized quite a number of shops were selling cloth fabrics. I've never been to place like this where i can see fabrics everywhere!

One of the shop caught my attention. To my curiosity,  i went into the shop and check out what were they selling. I think the shop keeper saw me looking at his products because he suddenly came to me and kindly invited me into the shop and even shared some information about what his products, carpets, were and where they from. I found out that these carpets were mainly imported from Persia. The fabric material, which the shop keeper told me, it was made from high quality thread, so that it's worth the money and comfortable enough to satisfy the customers. Wow, a honest person indeed!

I thanked the friendly shop keeper and began to walk. While changing lane , i turned into a back alley when something caught my eye! I was surprised to see a graffiti painting on a building in Singapore! I wasn't quite expecting these old streets to have these kind of sprayed paintings on the walls. Well, that is something new! And, not bad uh, it looked quite artistic!

After a long walk in Arab street, i was beginning to feel hungry! I'm on a tight budget actually, so i was wondering where i can get some cheap food to fill my growling stomach. While strolling down the street, I saw some restaurants and cafes that were way to expensive for me right now.. I stopped by in a textile shop and asked the shop owner if there is any cheap local food here. He then directed me to a shop called Singapore Zam Zam.
I dont really know much about ordering their food because these food on the menu looked so foreign to me. I couldn't even pronounce their names correctly! But after i went into the shop, one of the waiter directed me to the 2nd level, where more seats were available, and I found a seat where i saw a  picture of murtabak on the wall. The waiter then recommended me to try their famous teh-tarik. Though i never heard it before, but i decided to try it. Singapore's local foods tasted heavenly ever since i reached Singapore! but spicy like hell! i had to chug down my whole of bottled water for the spicy taste to be gone. but some how, i managed to finish up my food!


Feeling satisfied, I wandered off the lane again. A large robot outside a shop caught my eye. It was something like a mascot for the shop, which turns out to be the a museum called 'Children Little Museum.' It was full of interesting antique items which some were toys while some were everyday items which are sold at quite high price.. It was something interesting and amusing to me! I never actually thought of finding something new out of this little street!



After visiting the museum, I walked down the lane and saw more shop houses there. The weather was really too hot and i was already perspiring. Feeling a little tired, I went on to other shops, trying to find a place to rest.

I found a handcraft shop which was selling rattan baskets. The baskets are actually hand-woven and comes in different shapes, sizes and colors. It was an interesting sight for me as I have never seen such beautiful rattan baskets right in front of my eyes.


My body started aching and my legs felt tired after walking around. I decided to go to the Javanese Massage Spa which i passed by several times, to relax myself down. I have been to spas before but not to a Javanese Spa before! i was actually very curious and excited to see what they will do!



The masseuse invited me in and guide me to the comfy chairs. I was being treated like a King. I felt as if I was in heaven with the foot massage. I did not realize that I fell asleep until the masseuse woke me up gently telling me that she was done. I was really satisfied with the massage and hope to go there again.
After the message, i decided to forgo my ego and asked the masseuse for directions to the Sultan Mosque, the oldest mosque which was really wonderful! the architecture, the colors! it's really awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment